- Plan Your Visit
- About Us
- Special Programs
- Academy of the Sword
- Collection Highlights
- Collection Database
- Virtual Armory
- Museum Store
- Rent the Museum
All OverKnights are SOLD OUT. The information on this page has been made available for those groups and individuals who have already confirmed their reservations.
Even though the museum is closing at the end of the year, we’ll help make your stay one to remember! More information about Higgins' integration with Worcester Art Museum.
Our popular OverKnight program is an interactive parent-child adventure perfect for youth groups, scouts, and school groups studying the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. You’ll be immersed in a unique educational experience, focusing on chivalry, heraldry, and the history of the knight in shining armor. Spending the night at Castle Higgins is an exciting enrichment opportunity, especially appropriate for children in grades 1 through 6.
- Participants arrive at 5:30 and set up sleeping gear in the Castle Quest.
- The group enjoys dinner, either an informal pizza party or Medieval-style meal.
- The evening formally begins with a presentation on the arms and armor of a knight, including an extended hands-on section where participants can try on pieces of armor and equipment.
- A guided tour of the collection.
- Participants return to the classroom for a heraldry lesson and shield workshop.
- Prior to lights out, a bedtime snack will be served. Decaffeinated coffee and tea are available for adult guests.
- Lights out.
- Wake-up call at 6:15 am
- Continental breakfast: assorted baked goods, cereal, juice, milk, coffee and tea.
- Participants return to the Great Hall for a Quest: a scavenger hunt for the "Elements of the Chivalric Code."
- After successfully completing this Quest, a Knighting Ceremony will be conducted by the Nobles of the Realm (Group Leaders).
- Visit to the Museum Store.
- Departure at 9:00 am
The program is designed for up to 60 people and we require at least one chaperone for every child. You should bring your sleeping bags and your imaginations, and plan to arrive at the museum at 5:30 p.m. Your stay lasts until 9 a.m. the following morning, when there will be an opportunity to visit the Museum Store.
When you reserve an OverKnight, you are essentially renting the museum for the entire evening just for your group. We only book one group at a time (except for Open OverKnights; see below). There are two meal options (see below) and the price listed includes admission and programming for up to 60 participants (30 adults and 30 children).
Pizza dinner option: $2,880.00
This option includes a pizza dinner with cheese and pepperoni pizza, vegetable trays and dip, drinks (assorted juice, milk, water, and coffee and tea), and a bedtime snack. A continental breakfast is provided.
Medieval-style dinner option: $3,120.00
This option includes a medieval-style meal with a quarter chicken for each guest, along with potato wedges, baby carrots, drinks (assorted juice, milk, water, and coffee and tea), and a bedtime snack and milk. A continental breakfast is provided.
This option is available for families and smaller groups that would like to spend the night in our museum, but are not part of a larger group that can book a private program. See list of dates for Open OverKnight below. The prices are $48 per person for the Pizza Dinner nights or $52 per person for the Medieval-style Dinner nights.
Make a reservation
As of October 15, 2013, all dates available for Group OverKnights have been reserved and all Open OverKnights are full. As the Higgins is closing at the end of 2013, there are no dates available after the end of this year.
If you have questions about a reservation that your group has already confirmed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.